Thursday, May 10, 2012

Yummy recipe: taco salad

There is something therapeutic about cooking - even while you are only preparing the ingredients. I guess it's the break from your usual routine that makes cooking fresh again. I did not use to cook. I only picked it up when I got married - same with my other newly-acquired domestic skills such as baking and sewing. So when I finally put Caitlin to sleep, I detached from my phone and stayed away from my laptop so I can prepare the dressing for the Yummy Taco Salad that we are having for lunch.

I modified the recipe I found from http://www.yummy.ph/. I never used cilantro leaves and sour cream. And I also do not follow the recipe to the letter, but according to taste. Today, however, I will be using soft tortillas instead of nachos which we usually have. If that does not work, we can always buy tortilla chips at the nearest convenience store.

The Yummy Taco Salad is best served during dinnertime with beer, but it is up to you really.

Click on this link to view the recipe submitted by Jun Jun de Guzman or see my version below.

For the dressing:
Combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tomato sauce, sugar, chopped onion, and a dash of hot sauce to taste.

For the beef mixture:
Saute chopped garlic and onion in oil. Add in the ground beef. Season with cumin powder, salt, and pepper to taste.

You'll also need to chop lettuce and tomatoes in bite size pieces.

To assemble the salad, lay your nachos, soft tortillas, or tortilla chips on a platter. Spread lettuce and tomatoes on top. Add in your beef mixture and dressing before topping it off with grated cheddar cheese.

Enjoy!

- Mommy Smiley
Trying the recipe with tortilla chips. It's still best with nachos.

If you want it heavy and very filling, try it with soft tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment