Friday, May 18, 2012

Breastfeeding (nursing) at Rustan's Shangri-la

One of my favorite malls here in Metro Manila is Edsa Shang-ri La Plaza Mall. I like it because it's not congested. Plus, it is very close from our house. (I live in Shaw, Mandaluyong). But when I was pregnant, I began hating going to this mall after an incident with a not-so pregnant-friendly elevator staff.

I went to the mall once when I was heavily pregnant with Sam and had to use the lift. When the doors first opened, it was jam-packed with abled-looking adults so I waited for the next one. The second time it opened, an elderly on a wheelchair was waiting beside me but neither of us got in because it was still packed. By the third time it opened, I put my foot down and talked to the girl manning the elevator about my obvious condition and then pointed to the elderly on a wheelchair and told her why we had to use the elevator. I am sure those abled-looking adults are more capable of using the escalator than me or the elderly beside me. But I think it should not have come from me to have pointed it out. It should have occured to the girl manning the lift.

When I gave birth to Sam, my next dilemma when I go to malls, even high-end ones, is finding a breastfeeding station or a changing table, at least. I do not understand why it hasn't become a standard to put changing tables inside the toilets. I am happy to read though that Shangri-la Plaza Mall now has a breastfeeding station which I have yet to visit. Let me share to you though Rustan's Shangri-La Plaza Mall's own breastfeeding (or nursing) station.

I chanced upon Rustan's breastfeeding station when, while buying stuff for Sam (an excuse to shop for him even if he does not really need them), he soiled his diapers.


Here's my conversation with five staff (!) when I was looking for a place to change Sam's soiled diapers.

 

Me: Excuse me, where is your breastfeeding station?
Staff: Wala po kami noon. 
Staff 2: Ano po yun ma'am?
Me: Breastfeeding section. Iyong pwede ka mag-change ng diaper and mag-feed ng baby. 
Staff 3: Ay wala po kami noon.
Staff 4: Ano po ba yung hinahanap nyo?
Me: Breastfeeding station nga. How come Rustan's Makati has one? Tapos kayo wala? 

A fifth staff who approached me finally knew what I was talking about.

Staff 5: Ahhhh ma'am, meron kami dito nursing station, pero breastfeeding station wala po. 
Me: (Duh!!!!???????? But I calmed myself) Miss, saan iyong nursing station ninyo? 

To my surprise, it was located beside the staff's office.

So here are some pictures of the newly renovated Breastfeeding (err, Nursing) Station at Rustan's, Shangri-la Plaza Mall. 


The walls are designed with cute fairy decors. I think they are more for the moms than anyone else.


Clean and sturdy changing table. Please clean it before and after use.


Comfy seats. It's nice that they have pillows availble here.









Cushioned flooring.


Saffron comfy on a bean bag.







A proud moment: I am still breastfeeding my 13-month old! Clap!

So when you are at Rustan's, Shangri-La Plaza Mall, do check it out.


- Mommy Raquel

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raquel! Exclusively breastmilk parin w/ solid or mixed with formula or whole milk si Saffron?

    He's so cuuuteee! Mangigigil si Jacob sa kaniya :D

    ReplyDelete