Thursday, January 19, 2012

Labor pains

Preparing for labor for a first-timer like me meant surveying other moms how theirs went. The usual answer went: "Masakit. Sobrang sakit." As to the degree of pain, that's subject to the listener's interpretation. After several similar answers of "it's painful" in one form or another, watching youtube videos of strangers in labor and delivery seemed inevitable. (Warning: not for the faint-hearted.)

It was only after my mom-in-law recommended that my husband and I attend a childbirth class that some sense finally got to me. There, I learned that early labor pains are not usually as bad as I interpreted and that you could even sleep through it as I did! The pain intensifies during the transition phase, peaks when you are in active labor and about seven centimeters dilated, then it plateaus.

Women shouting and cursing their husbands while giving birth may be true for some, but not for me. My experience was more calm and compose. It left me tried and sleepy during most parts, but every bit of me had a full sense of what's happening, save for the time. I couldn't track the time except for the moment I checked-in at the hospital at 10:10 am, and when I finally gave birth at 3:49 pm. My husband stepped out to eat for some 20 minutes while I was in labor and I thought he was gone for hours! Who would blame me? While my birthing coach was out to eat, my doctor broke my water bag and I transitioned into the most painful part. So I did curse, but only in my mind.

So if you ask me now how giving birth is, I'd say, "Masakit. Sobrang sakit!"

But as I tell my friends, too, "Women have been giving birth to babies since time immemorial. Your body is built to handle the pain."

Happy nine months to our bundle of joy!

Caitlin at birth.

- Mommy Smiley

2 comments:

  1. Smiley!!!

    I found your blog through Instagram! Haha! Now following you via GFC.

    I agree with you. Sobrang sakit at mahirap manganak, but it's the best kind of pain a woman can ever go through. :)

    Happy 9th month to Caitlin! She's growing up so fast ha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cj! Thanks for visiting our blog. Yes, it's bittersweet. No plans of baby number two for you yet?

    ReplyDelete