Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Preparing Caitlin's 1st birthday

The first fondant cake I made my daugher.

In preparation for a child's birthday, the usual steps to take, among others, are: deciding on a theme and sourcing venues, caterers, and entertainment. But for those who want to complicate life a bit, why not add enrolling in a baking class in the mix? That way, you can bake your child's first birthday cake!

I do not know why I make things more difficult as it is in preparing for Caitlin's first birthday, but I do.

I feel that there is nothing sweeter in the world than the stuff you make yourself for your child.

So I got busy and enrolled in my first class on icings, frostings, rolled fondant, and glaze. But the inspiration and real labor came when I got into themed cupcakes where we molded 3D objects using only our imagination.

I went on to practice when my baby turned 11 months on Mar. 19. I made her first cake with fondant and gum paste. For the many clothes I sewed her as well as the do-it-yourself stuff I made her, nothing almost broke me than rolling a fondant.

Playing with gum paste.

It was my first attempt at making a marshmallow fondant. I've seen how to make it from stratch into absolute smoothness a couple of times but my chef-teacher doesn't even look like she broke a sweat in doing so. I, on the other hand, almost broke my back! And I also felt guilty at the same time for being away from Caitlin as she marked her 11th month just so I can make her a cake.

But for all the time I've already spent away to attend classes and to practice at home, the least I can do is not to give up and deliver. Most importantly, it's a story about perseverance that I can pass on to Caitlin when she's old enough to understand. And by that time, I might actually make her roll a fondant so she can appreciate what hard labor really is. Just kidding!

Happy 11th month Caitlin! The countdown begins.

8:30 pm. Caitlin woke up in time to celebrate her 11th month with her daddy.

- Mommy Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment