Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Marathon breastfeeding

I woke up to Caitlin's cries. She just detached from me and I put her back on so she could go back to sleep. I realized that I must have fallen asleep myself. The lights were already out and my husband was now on the bed with us.

Time check: 10:36 pm. Nothing unusual about it save for the fact that I went to bed with Caitlin directly feeding from me at 8:25 pm!

Suddenly, my stomach hurt and my head felt light due to hunger. She was still feeding when I also began feeling uncomfortable since I haven't freshened up for bed yet. I was still wearing my day clothes with traces of her saliva and probably rice from her dinner or even lunch.

Caitlin's been feeding from me for two straight hours. She may not be suckling the whole time, but it sure drained me and left me feeling like I skipped dinner.

When she detached, I drank lots of water to mask the hunger pangs. Sometimes, satisfying your thirst takes the pain away. I then took a quick shower and went back to bed. Unfortunately, the water that I drank wasn't enough and I needed a hot meal.

An hour later, I was back in bed and I haven't even found sleep yet when Caitlin cried again, called me out, and wanted to feed again.

It was bittersweet. Tired and sleepy, hearing her cry out, "mama, mama, mama" made me want to make everything right for her. Even if it would make me prepare another hot meal at 12 midnight.

But at least this time, she didn't stay long on me to drain me of the food that I just ate.

After she just fed, however, sleep has become elusive and what a funny, funny scene it would be for me to catch it a minute before Caitlin calls me out and feeds again.

Ah, this, too, shall pass.

If you are a breastfed child, don't ever, ever take the sacrifices your mom did for you for granted. Ever. Delivering you into this world is one story and breastfeeding you takes sacrifices to the next level.

Time check: 12:48 am. Hello, sleep. Finally.

- Mommy Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment